Saturday, August 25, 2012

Healthy Recipe Alert!

I ran across a recipe online last week.  I wish it was on pinterest or I could have just shared that link.  Heaven knows my photos never do things justice.  Anyway.... this sounded yummy and relatively healthy for it being a Mexican Food dish.  I was all in and Shane loved it too. My sister was over last night and tried it also and loved it.  Super quick and easy. Of course, I already had pressure cooked jars of chicken in my pantry from living with my Grandma for 4 months so the worst part was done. If you know of anyone who cans chicken and can show you how..... I STRONGLY recommend it. Having meats already prepared is a sure-fire way to avoid fast food options.  I can't even explain to you how nice it is to NOT have to cook chicken as I need it.  This meal was literally done in 30mins flat.  No joke. 
 

Chicken and Pinto Bean Casserole
Ingredients:
1 16oz jar medium picante sauce (mild or spicy)
6 corn tortillas cut into fourths
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 15oz can reduced sodium pinto beans, rinsed & drained
3/4 cup reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Spread about 1/2 cup of the picante sauce in bottom of a 2-quart baking dish
Arrange 6 of the tortilla pieces on top
Sprinkle half the shredded chicken on top, followed by half of the pinto beans
Spoon a half cup of sauce on top, followed by another 6 tortilla pieces
Sprinkle remaining chicken and beans, followed by a half cup of sauce
Top with remaining tortilla pieces, followed by sauceand top with cheese
Cover with foil and bake for 15 mins. until cheese is melted in the center.
Serves 4
Nutritional Information:
Calories 269, Calories from Fat 45, Total Fat 5g (sat 1.8g), Cholesterol 47mg, Sodium 760mg, Carbohydrate 27.1g, Fiber 6.2g, Protein 28.8g


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I am on the HCG diet and this is making me hungry. It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete